Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Walking By Faith

(For we walk by faith, not by sight:)  2nd Corinthians 5:7

I shared earlier this year about my back problems that sometimes interfere with my ability to walk.  There are few things I have experienced as humbling as having to ride in a wheel chair during a time that most consider the 'prime of life'.  One day while I was in the throws of despair due to this disability, I decided to go outside and walk circles around the trampoline.  I was determine to build my strength back up.  I was able to hold on to the frame of the trampoline as I took each step.  My sweet husband stayed close by in case I needed him.  As I walked, I sang:  'I walk..by faith...each step.. that I take'.  As my strength increased so did my faith.  Each step was a gift from God, and I relied on Him to get me through.

By the time that I had began new medication and regained the stability to walk unassisted, my four year old son, Connor, broke his leg.  For the first four weeks after his injury, he was totally immobile.  We had to pick him up to take him from bed, to the couch, to the bathroom and back multiple times daily.  He had to rely on us 100%.  When he was given the okay to walk again, he was afraid.  He didn't feel comfortable holding his own weight.  For a couple of days, we walked with him each time he got up - which was very little.  Then we got our new puppy Boondocks.  We told Connor if he wanted to play with Boondocks, he'd have to walk to him.  He's been unstoppable ever since. 

You would think that the literal lessons of walking by faith would end there, but it doesn't.  A month after Connor's cast was removed, I received an email about a Golden Retriever puppy whose leg had to be amputated following an accident.  They were looking for a pet friendly home for him that was knowledgeable of animals.  We brought Kudzu home one week after his leg was removed.  Watching him the first week, he had to concentrate before laying down and again when lifting his body on just three legs.  He would only walk short distances and then lay to rest again.  We each would take turns playing fetch with him and other attempts to help him grow comfortable adjusting to his new way of life.  It was something only time could do.  Two weeks later, he hardly realizes his leg is missing. 

While each of these physical conditions have existed in our home, how much more the reality of the need to walk by faith and not by sight.  During times that we don't know where the money for the next bill is going to come from, we walk by faith.  When my husband is injured, and we are unsure how much longer he will be able to continue working, we walk by faith.  When the weight and burdens of this present world seem to be bearing down from every side, we walk by faith.

God is faithful.  He is our strong-tower.  And by faith, we will one day see Him face to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment