|"Play dead, Banner."|
Dogs aren't for the first fifteen minutes of cuteness, they're for the next fifteen years through all of life's ups and downs. The relationship is among the best afforded to humans, but it is not always easy. It takes dedication and commitment.
Below is the pledge that is signed when your dog is awarded Canine Good Citizen after successfully completing the test. It is basic but so "right on". Feel free to share it with others!
|Maizey was one of our fosters for a while. Isn't she beautiful?|
CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® OWNER’S COMMITMENT
TO RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERSHIP
I understand that to truly be a Canine Good Citizen, my dog needs a responsible owner. I
agree to maintain my dog’s health, safety, and quality of life. By participating in the
Canine Good Citizen test, I agree:
I will be responsible for my dog’s health needs. These include:
• routine veterinary care including check-ups and vaccines
• adequate nutrition through proper diet; clean water at all times
• daily exercise and regular bathing and grooming
|"Wrigley - with our handsome human, Connor"|
I will be responsible for my dog’s safety.
• I will properly control my dog by providing fencing where appropriate,
not letting my dog run loose, and using a leash in public.
• I will ensure that my dog has some form of identification (which may include
collar tags, tattoos, or microchip ID).
I will not allow my dog to infringe on the rights of others.
• I will not allow my dog to run loose in the neighborhood.
• I will not allow my dog to be a nuisance to others by barking while in the yard,
in a hotel room, etc.
• I will pick up and properly dispose of my dog’s waste in all public areas such as
on the grounds of hotels, on sidewalks, parks, etc.
• I will pick up and properly dispose of my dog’s waste in wilderness areas, on
hiking trails, campgrounds and in off-leash parks.
I will be responsible for my dog’s quality of life.
• I understand that basic training is beneficial to all dogs.
• I will give my dog attention and playtime.
• I understand that owning a dog is a commitment in time and caring.
Have you made this pledge to yourself and to your pet? Go ahead... your dog deserves it!!
|Spirit says, "Please take me home. Love me. Take care of me. I'll do the same for you"|
Tomorrow we'll share some important tips about bite prevention. We'll see y'all then!
(All pictures were taken by our mom of animals at Brookhaven Animal Rescue League.)